In this webinar, Laura talks about beating boredom. How to deal with the boredom that may make us drink? And about the sudden need to find new things to occupy your time now you are not drinking or hungover, which can be a challenge.
You also need to make sure you have quick distractions to deal with the discomfort of not drinking when you usually did. These activities are key to long term sobriety.
When you find yourself thinking you are ‘bored’ and you wish you could drink, start challenging yourself and plan new things.
But don’t make finding new hobbies a major task in its own right – you need a whole list of things:
- activities that take 5 to 20 minutes to help ride the short-term discomfort
- practical, fun or relaxing things
- high value (rewarding activities) and low value (surfing the web) things
- new things to try, as well as activities that can occupy you for a while
- new activities as well as new friendships
- relaxing activities – and also recognise when you need sleep!