Our old friend Kim is back with another report of her sober journey, and she just had a birthday – her first sober one for a while. Read on to hear how it went!
First sober birthday
It’s my birthday on Sunday and I’ve been feeling really pissed off about the whole thing. Pissed off that I won’t be seeing my numnut mates as they will just want to get slaughtered. Pissed off that I should be having a spectacular alcohol-free day but that won’t happen with them. Pissed off that NOBODY understands what a legend I am for kicking the booze, NOBODY gets how hard I’ve worked, NOBODY is hanging out the banners and playing trumpets in my heroic alcohol-free presence. NOBODY GETS IT OR ME!
I dragged my sorry arse to the office today planning to hang my already out of proportion bottom lip out even further for the day in a mega sulkathon. And this is what my team and my company set up for me.
- Bouquet of flowers (I keep banging on how I can smell the flowers more these days)
- An epic LDC cocktail set for my disco bath, more flashing lights in the bath – HOOZAHHH!
- A book of mocktail recipes
- A box of syrups for my mocktails
- 2 brilliant books for when I go on my adventures on my own
- A spa day in the most amazing 5 star venue for two as they know I’ve got into the pampering thing big time and spending more time with my daughter thing
- Extra day holiday to a) Take the spa midweek so it’s more of a treat and b) So I have more time to go on my mini adventures
- A bonus for all the hours and effort I put in (as I wasn’t hungover this wasn’t too hard)
- Another bag of gifts that I haven’t opened as instructed to wait for my actual birthday to open those
- A card with loads of messages of congratulations on all my life change efforts
- Then beer o’clock time in the office and they are now getting Becks Blue in for me!
Birthday present to self
I know this sobriety malarkey is about me and not what others think, but I feel so much better now!
Every year I order myself a birthday present. I have just ordered these pills make your poo full of glitter – for me this is revolutionary. I will resist the temptation to spike my son with one.
I am going to snorkel with some sharks this weekend with my son (because I hate swimming and am shit scared of sharks and need a challenge). I’m going to have afternoon tea, and I’m going to suck my bottom lip back in and put that smile right back on my chops!
Epic sulk averted!
Club Soda is turning into a “Pay What You Want” movement – what does it mean? Read more here!