Julian Kirkman-Page, works in the City of London, is a keen member of Club Soda, and gave up alcohol forever two and half years ago. In his book ‘I Don’t Drink!’ he tells why and describes how he managed to quit drinking, and details the phenomenal difference it has made to his life since. In this last blog in his series for Club Soda across Men’s Health Week 2015, Julian tells how he went from Fat to Fit by dropping the booze (read part 1 and part 2).
Getting fit and healthy
From FAT Git to FIT Git!
- I have lost two stone in weight despite all the extra exercise which would be putting on heavier muscle. I am now 177 pounds, well within my BMI for a 6.0 foot broad shouldered male. (I lost 7 pounds within the first month and without trying to lose weight at all. In fact to compensate for the sugar in drink, I started craving cake and biscuits, something I had never eaten.)
- I am now a 32 waist down from a 36.
- My blood pressure is now normal! After 10 years I have finally been told to come off medication!
- My cholesterol is now normal. After 7 years I have finally been told to come off medication.
- The Type 2 Diabetes I had been told might not develop fully if I lost weight has GONE!
- My heart rate averages 52, this is athlete status!
- The psoriasis I have suffered with since I was three has gone!
- The fingernail infection I picked up in South Africa in 1999 and which has plagued me ever since has completely cleared up.
- My breath is fresher and my taste buds have a new lease of life.
- My liver will be regenerating and my brain losing far less cells every day than it used to. (By now, two years down the track, I have a new liver and a healthy pair of kidneys into the bargain. I can’t see them but I know I am all fresh and clean inside – it’s a great feeling.)
- I never ever have gout and all that nightmare associated pain and have never felt fitter and happier because of it.
- I have joined the local scuba diving club and will be diving this summer. (In fact I now have my dry-suit certificate so can dive all year if I want!)
- I have taken up karate, something I always wanted to do. (I just got my orange belt.)
- I now swim every day, no longer being limited by having to drive to the pool or not wanting to wait to have a drink.
- I kayak on the sea most weekends, and the rougher the better!
- I look great and consequently feel fantastic because of it.
- Everything works as it should!
No more after effects of drinking